When salon visits and long showers are like vacation, The No Wrong Way Movement, how involving a daughter in a cause resulted in empathy for the world, helping children redefine how they see beauty, why Denise has taken her young daughter around the world on her business travels, why wit and intelligence matter the most, and the many influences impacting body image. Plus Size Model and Activist Denise Bidot shares her mom routines and relationships with hosts Stacy Igel and Michelle Park.
(Denise’s Instagram: @denisebidot)
In this episode:
- Stacy’s vintage fashion, and her new routine “Christmas tinsel hair”, dying hair to lose the little bits of gray
- Salon visits and long showers like a vacation
- “Wow powder”
- The No Wrong Way Movement, a fully inclusive platform encouraging self love, and Denise doing it with her daughter at her side, how it is not just about body size but about acceptance
- How she brought daughter on several trips around the world
- Denise didn’t want to leave her baby in NYC while she travels the world, while spending a lot on childcare and not going what’s going on in one’s house
- Her daughter grew up in the modeling/fashion industry
- Denise’s daughter has empathy for the world
- Kids learn from you and how you are, leading my example, and how her daughter kept Denise sane during her “crazy journey”
- Helping her daughter with how she feels about her own body
- Despite growing up in body positivity environment, so many other influences
- We can help children redefine how they see beauty
- “Straight Curve” documentary
- Media fueling easting disorders and how we feel about bodies, and how that’s changing
- Being truthful and transparent , and Denise showing her daughter that wit and intyelligence is what she should value the most
- Picking up cues from others via social media, constantly taking pictures oneself
Denise Bidot is a plus size model, activist and pioneer of the widely acclaimed body positivity movement. Bidot, a Latina-Arab Miami native, has defied fashions standards since being discovered on a photo shoot back in 2006 where she was working as a makeup artist. Soon after, her modeling career took off and she became one of the most sought models in the curve category. Being the first plus size model to walk multiple runways during New York Fashion Week, her mission has and always will be to utilize her voice to promote change in the way the fashion industry views women and what it means to have a healthy body. As the founder of the No Wrong Way Movement, Bidot is an outspoken critic of representation in the fashion industry, starring in progressive advertisements for companies like Lane Bryant, Target and Dove, who notoriously push the envelope of fashion’s restrictive beauty standards. As a single mother of 10 year old daughter Joselyn, Bidot looks at the younger generation as her inspiration to continue to break down barriers when it comes to self love and acceptance. Bidot is based in New York City where she lives with her daughter and their adorable puppy Millie. For more information, please visit www.denisebidot.com.
To share your #MOMSGOTTHIS MOMENT just call 833-844-THIS-MOM (833-844-7666) and leave a voicemail with your first name and city along with your moment.